Should it be approved,
The main goals of the Dr. Dynasaur 2.0 proposal are.
- To make health care in Vermont more accessible and affordable.
- To remove the income cap.
- To expand the age limit from 19 to 26 years.
Doing so would:
Reduce the number of uninsured Vermonters
- Move roughly 120,000 people from expensive private insurance plans into Dr. Dynasaur generating a huge decrease in the number of Vermonters with high deductibles and out of pocket health care expenses.
Lower the cost of doing business in Vermont
- Relieve employers of the high costs associated with offering family health care plans to their staff. All Vermonters / employees ages 26 and under would now receive care through Dr. Dynasaur 2.0.
Expand Access to Care
- Expand low or no cost coverage for dental care, primary care, mental health treatment and prescription drugs to young Vermonters. Click here for more details on what Dr. Dynasaur covers.
Help young people stay in Vermont
- Provide a financial incentive for young people to live, work and raise families in Vermont.
- Decrease the uninsured rate of the “young and invincible” aged 19-26.
Currently the Dr. Dynasaur 2.0 program is in its proposal phase. It's organizers are in the process of requesting that Vermont State Legislature commission a study to examine the tax and public health implications of expanding Dr. Dynasaur so it may be ready for the 2017 legislative session.
If the study comes back showing more taxes would be required to fund Dr. Dynasaur 2.0 vs the savings provided to Vermont employers, employees and residents via reduced health care costs, we will simply forgo our pursuit of the expansion.
Organizations Currently Supporting the Study are:
- AARP Vermont
- Vermont NEA
- Planned Parenthood
- Vermont League of Cities and Towns
- American Cancer Society
- American Heath Association
- Main Street Alliance
- Voices for Vermont’s Children
- Vermont State Employees Association
- Vermont Businesses for Social Responsibility
- American Federation of Teachers / United Professions of Vermont
- Professional Firefighters of Vermont